Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Eleven: Like a Boss

Eleven years old.  Only two years from being a teenager.  Only five years from driving.  Only seven years from voting.  I have a feeling time is going to start going by really fast.  Our Rhett is turning into quite the young man.  I love seeing glimpses of the person he is becoming.  Another year down.  Check out Rhett's last year's list here.


  • Rhett is becoming such a sweet kid.  For some reason this year he is more attached to me then in the past.  He freely gives me hugs and wants to be close.  I'm not sure what's triggering this but I'll take it!
  • He is very sweet with me but that does not mean he is sweet to his sister.  Generally, Piper really drives him crazy.  He doesn't have a lot of patience with her.  I suppose this is pretty normal at his age.  I keep telling both kids they will love each other when they are older.  
  • To say Rhett's reading has hit a new level is an understatement.  He has really taken off this year.  His teacher has really gotten the kids in his class to read all sorts of books that they might not have read on their own.  We've gotten to the point where he reads books that I want to read too.  I love it!
  • He still struggles a little with certain subjects like math but overall he is a very good student and is becoming more responsible every day.  
  • His love of facts is still going strong.  He thrives on knowledge of all kinds.  He is especially interested in history and learning about different wars.  
  • Rhett likes routine and knowing what's in store.  The more consistent the better.  I guess he's a product of his environment.  Us Jenkins aren't known for our spontaneous behavior.    
  • Although both of my kids are picky eaters, Rhett is starting to become more willing to try new things.  I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Now if I can just get Piper on board.
  • Rhett is still a pretty big homebody.  He likes hanging with friends but the majority of the time he's content staying at home chilling.  It's still hard to get him to get dressed on the weekend.  
  • Rhett loves video games and watching movies.  He's especially into the Star Wars series and watching all the James Bond movies.  Even the old ones that I think are super cheesy.  He enjoys reading a book then watching the movie afterwards.  I will always be his movie watching partner. 
  • He's becoming more independent.  We let him stay home for small periods at a time by himself and he revels in that.  I picture him being like his Uncle Scott who would have to go out with the family as a punishment.  
  • His sense of humor is really developing.  He's pretty sarcastic and surprisingly witty.  For a kid who is more of a serious soul, I love seeing this side of him. 
  • I almost forgot.  He still wants me to scratch his back at night!
What a great kid we have.  We are thankful for him every day.  He brings joy to us in the most unexpected ways.  Happy 11th Birthday Rhett!

No comments: