Tuesday, October 12, 2010
The Sacry Laughing Gene
The other day me and my mom had a really good laugh while talking on the phone. One of those laughs where you're laughing so hard you're crying. I haven't had one of those in a while and it feels so good. We got to laughing about something that happened years ago when she lived in Little Rock. The gist of the story is mom and I were at a Greek festival where we so kindly tried to help an elderly lady up from sitting on the ground and ended up dropping her then accidentally spilling our can of pop on her. Oh and then we were laughing so hard we just had to walk away. Lady on the ground covered in pop and all. It's a common occurrence for us girls to get laughing like this. My father-in-law thinks it's one of our best attributes. He loves seeing me or my sister laugh like this. For some reason I think everyone has these laughing fits but I don't think it's quite as common for other people as I think. And unfortunately, not to be taken personally, it's usually at someone else's expense. My mom and I decided it was a Sacry trait. Especially with the women. Obviously me, my mom and my sister get on laughing kicks like this but there are many other people in my family who do this too. My cousin Terra and I used to laugh like this all the time. It generally happened at church at inappropriate times. My mom has had many instances with my aunts Carol Ann and Susan. My sister says she has these fits with our cousin Leslie. And I think it's safe to say probably everyone has had a good laugh with Grandma Nonie. (Sometimes at her expense. But she was always laughing with us.) I know if all you Sacry's chimed in you would agree and could share your laughing stories. I would love to hear them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Well, Josh has sworn me to secrecy. However I can pretty much have a laughing fit at any moment thinking about a certain story from our honeymoon.
I am not sure if you wanted us to start a separate one on FB or post here.
Just the other day I had one of these fits! IT was Tiffany at the inappropriate time, in church. I was in charge, but had a long list of things going on, so I forgot the communion bread. The only thing available was some (who knows how old) french bread in the freezer compartment at church.
Time was running out to get something else so we decided to use it. I served Terry, and then he served me, and then the rest of the congregation.
One bite, and it was horrible, dried out, semi buttered, and very very chewy!
I looked out at the reaction of the congregation, and got to giggling to the point, I was pretending I was blowing my nose. I could not look up for fear I would lose total control.
I guess church is one of the best places to laugh. One of the hardest times I had in controlling myself was with Mom in church. I was up front presiding and we were doing a hymn but I didn't want people to stand up. I think Mom thought it should be a stand up thing. Anyway, I looked up and she was standing, all by herself in the middle of the congregation. We exchanged looks and she very slowly slid down into her chair. OK, so it was the way she did it that got me going. I truly couldn't control myself, upfront and all. I held up the hymn book in front of my face but it was shaking so bad it made me laugh more. Finally I just got up, went into the bathroom and laughed as hard as I could to just get it out of my system. When I returned I could not even look at Mom or it would start again. I thought the service would never end. It reminded me of when Tiffany and Terra tried to sing a duet together at church. Something got them started and they giggled and giggled, holding up their music to hide their faces and then they'd try to sing again. Finally they just quit and sat down. They were about Jr. High age. Thanks for thinking of this because I've had a good laugh thinking of it.
I have time for one more. This is an old one from Mom. She told me she was at a funeral with her Dad and they were sitting by the aisle. She turned around and saw an old lady and man walking arm in arm down the aisle. I'm not sure why but he had her purse on his arm. Well, the sight of this old man with a ladies purse struck her funny and she started to laugh. Of course, at a funeral was definitely not a time to laugh out loud so she put her kleenz over her face to hide her laughter. Grandpa Pyfer thought she was crying hard because her shoulders were shaking so he reached over and started patting her back. This made her laugh all the harder. She thought she would die trying to keep herself under control. We really are a sick family! I'm glad I'm in it.
I was thinking about right before Leslie and Mike got married, my mom and I and a bunch of other people were at their house helping them paint and get it ready. Susan, Leslie, Mom, Grandma and I were painting in the bathroom and I can't remember who or what started it but we were all laughing so hard that it was painful and wonderful at the same time. Five of us were in this tiny bathroom doubled over with laughter. I love that our family laughs.
Speaking of total disregard for the well being of others i have a story for you all. Back when Mary Beth and I were dating we were driving back to Montana for Christmas break from Independence. We needed gas so we stopped in Mitchell, SD. There was lots of snow, ice and slush all over the parking lot. I ran in to pay for the gas and when I come out I was headed back to the car and hit a slick patch of ice! My feet flew out from under me and my body was completely horizontal before I even hit the ground very hard! So I'm lying in the middle of a wet, slushy, icy parking lot and what is Mary Beth doing? Do you think she runs out to see if I'm okay? Do you think she come out to help me get up? Not a chance on either of these notions! I finally get off the ground, hurting and embarrassed. When I finally get to the car I find Mary Beth laughing so hard she is crying!!! She thought it was some kind of joke! I was like "do you really think I would fake slip in a puddle of slush just to make you laugh"! Anyway no matter how hard she tried to control the laughter to see if I was okay she just couldn't stop!
Okay...so doug, I have been laughing until I cried at that story! You have truly experienced the unfortunate end. Tiff has a hilarious story about Russ falling down some stairs when they were dating. She will have to share it, but I wonder if all the in laws have felt the misfortune of this laughing gene?!
OK, so last weekend I was playing king's corner with Kate. I put the card down in a funny way and she and I both laughed. and laughed. and every time i put a card down we laughed again... OH, no! We can't help ourselves, Doug! It's in the genes!
One day at pizza church when kerry's family was still all home we had chili. Kerry came from the kitchen and tripped with chili in hand. Rather than a graceful fall (?) knee first and then catching himself he fell like a timber, chili splashing everywhere. At first it was dead silent. Then when we all realized he was ok (perhaps 3 seconds) Keely and Krista began laughing as only they can laugh. Of course we all joined in. It was unforgetably funny.
Kerry was just here and he told me about when he was working for Jim. There were some really low beams and Kerry hit his head really hard on one of those beams. He sat quietly holding his head and moaning. Jim came over and gently asked him if he was ok. Kerry looked up at him and said, "I don't know how could you keep from laughing." (It would seem that the male members of our family are more sensitive than the female!)
Thanks for more laughs Carol Ann.
Post a Comment